Saturday, September 19, 2009

The African American Male in the Church

For so many years while growing up in the church, I can clearly remember many Sundays when me and my siblings would have to attend church without our father. It seemed normal to me at that time because I knew my dad was a hard worker and he was present in our lives and in the home.

What is interesting is that there were many men in the church while I was coming up, but none of them were my father. Over times, it seems as though the male figure within the church has vanished. There are greater number of women compared to men who attend worship service on a regular basis. Why is that?

I can remember at times when my father would argue with my mother because she loved her church, her pastor, and fellowshipping. He would often times make derogatory comments about the pastor and church, not knowing that one day his very own son would be in the ministry! Wow!

In the African-American church of today, many of our male role models have disappeared. Many of the "men" in church are becoming everything else except "men." yes, I went there. I strongly believe that God is calling for the "real men" to stand up and take their place in the home, in the community, in the church, and in society! Men, our women are looking for us and we are making it hard for them to find us! Become God-fearing and get your acts together!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment